Artist Gretchen Huber Warren has been exhibiting her artwork for over two decades. Her paintings in oil on canvas show the results of an illustrator’s ability to tell a story and an artist’s eye for beauty.
Upon graduating from college, she initially pursued an illustration career, creating book covers and free-lance illustrations for Reader’s Digest and several other companies. After being approached by galleries asking to show her work, Gretchen decided to focus on fine art painting in the oil medium. Since 1986 Gretchen has sold over 750 works to collectors and corporations worldwide. In addition to gallery exhibitions, she is currently licensing her images to several companies for various products.
Gretchen’s painting style has several distinguishing features. Vibrant colors, brilliant light effects, clarity of line and form give her paintings a certain presence and immediacy which capture the viewer’s attention. Her favorite challenge is to capture the image and feeling of a scene whether it is a bucket of flowers or an old gas station. All of her works suggest a sense of well being, characterized by her familiarity with and fondness for her subjects.
B.F.A. in Illustration, College of Visual and Performance Arts, Syracuse Univ., 1985, Dean’s List 1984, 1985
- Awarded the lifetime title of “Copley Artist” in 1994
- Oil Painters of America
- Award of Merit 2004
ONE WOMAN SHOWS
- The Wright Gallery, Cape Porpoise, Maine, 2006
- Gallery on Chase Hill, Kennebunk, 2005
- The Copley Society of Art, Boston, Mass. 2004
- The Wright Gallery, Cape Porpoise, Maine, 2001
- The Smith-Klein Gallery, Boulder, Colorado, 1996, 1999, 2002
- The Town and County Club, Hartford, Connecticut, 1992
- Kennedy Studios, Brookline, Massachusetts, 1990
SMALL GROUP SHOWS
- Harvard Historical Society, 2004
- Ocean Editions, Kennebunk, 2002, 2003
- Powers Gallery, Acton, Mass. 2002, 2003, 2004
- The Copley Society, Boston, Mass, 2002
- Davio’s, Boston Massachusetts, 1993
JURIED SHOWS and AWARDS
In the past 20 years, Gretchen has participated in over 40 national and regional juried shows and has won 25 competitive awards.
- Published By ColorWorks, Author: Carol Schwartz, US Publisher: Harry N. Abrams,
- UK Publisher: Laurence King Publishing Ltd. 2008 Oil Painting Basics, F&W Publications, Jan. 2005 The Artist’s Magazine, Jan 2004, “Top 20 Artists to Watch” Frontier Magazine, Featured Artist, April 2003
- The Artist’s Magazine, Sept. 2002, Featured Artist
- National Park Academy of the Arts, 2000, 2003, 2004
- The Who’s Who in the East, 27th Edition 1999-2000
- The Artist’s Magazine 1998 Calendar, 1999 and 2000 Award Winner’s Editions
- Best of Oil Painting, Rockport Publishers, 1996
- Society of Illustrators Annual Publication, Society of Illustrators, 1986 and 1987
Gretchen’s licensed images are published by over 15 companies, spanning 4 continents.