Artist show for Charles October 14-28 2017.
Biographical Information for artist Charles Gruppe:
Charles C. Gruppe comes from a respected families of East Coast artists. His grandfather, Charles Paul Gruppé (1860-1940), studied and painted in Europe until moving to Rochester, New York. His uncles, sculptor Karl (1893-1982) and painter Emile (1896-1978) were successful and widely recognized for their work. Charles’s, father Paulo Gruppe, was a gifted cellist.
Charles Gruppe studied at Yale University and at Columbia, as well as at the National University of Mexico. He earned a Masters of Fine Art from Columbia University while on a fellowship there. He was also awarded a Fulbright Fellowship Grant and studied in Italy where he received an Italian Government Award.
COMMISSIONS: Paintings, American President Lines; S.S. Coolidge, Jackson Wilson; Yale Divinity School, New Haven, CT; Fort Lauderdale National Bank, Florida; Dolly O’Brien Estate, Palm Beach, FL; First National Bank, New Haven, CT; Actor Charlton Heston
- Allied Artists AM, New York, NY
- Boston Arts Festival; Silvermine Guild Artists, New Canaan, CT
- American Landscape Award, Provincetown Art Assn, MA
- N.E. Annual Nantucket Art Assn., Nantucket, MA
- Lord & Taylor, New York, NY
- Cape Cod Art Assn., Gold Medal
- Butler Museum, Youngstown, OH
- Witte Museum Purchase Award, San Antonio, TX
- Knickerbocker Artists Award, New York City, 1985
- Hudson Valley Art Assn. Award, 1990; Samagundi Club 1st Award, New York City, 1995
- Arthritis Foundation Bronze Medal and Purchase Award, 1996
- First Prize, Museum of Science & Art, Bridgeport, CT, 1997
- Frederic Waugh Memorial Award, Provincetown, MA 1998
- Art and the Law National Competition Award, 1998
- Philip Schumaker Marine Award, Porckport Art Assn, 1989
- Lyme, CT Art Assn, 2nd Prize, 1995
- North Shore Art Assn. Award, 1994
- Windsor Newton National Competition Award, 1995
- Essex Art Assn. Popular Award, 1999
- Hilton Head National Jury Show Award, 1999
WORKSHOPS GIVEN: 1995 – 2000:
- Greenwich, CT; Marco Island, FL; Jupiter, FL; Hilton Head, SC; Sedona, AZ; Northern Michigan Workshops; Cincinnati Arts Club; Acapulco Mexico – 1995
- Athens, Greece – 1996
- Rome and Paris – 1997
- Portugal – 1998
- Spain – 1999
GALLERIES: Washington, D.C.; Cape Porpoise, ME; Key West, Sanibel Island, and Naples, FL; Hartford, New Haven and Guilford, CT; Barcelona, Spain; Montreal, Canada
Represented in over 5,000 private collections.